Dr. Taylor Truitt chats with Dr. Allen on SiriusXM Doctor Radio and fields calls about bringing a rescue pet into your family. The Vet Set encourages people to consider adoption when bringing a new pet into your home. Each year 7.6 million pets enter shelters and close to 3 million are euthanized per statistics from the ASPCA. Adopt not shop!
The winter months can be really hard on your dog’s paws. Between the extreme cold, different chemicals used to prevent ice, gravel, and dry conditions there’s many elements to protect those sensitive paws against. Here’s some tips to keep your paws in tip top shape!
These simple tips will help your dog’s paws be safe, warm, and healthy through the winter months! If you notice any redness, ulceration, or deeply cracked paws please contact The Vet Set or your veterinarian immediately.
Top Five Ways to Keep Your City Kitty Happy!
As dictated by the cat that owns Taylor Truitt, DVM
Your city kitty is indeed a lucky cat! Since she can’t go outside she doesn’t have to worry about being attacked, contracting disease, and will most likely live a longer life. But we do need to keep our city kitties happy by modifying their home environment so they don’t get bored. Here’s the top 5 ways to keep your city kitty happy!5) Cat Grass. Cat grass is a special variety of grass you can grow indoors for your cat to munch on. It can help control hairballs by helping them pass and provide some additional nutrients that aren’t apart of their carnivorous diet. While the jury is still out on whether cat grass offers any health benefits, most cats really enjoy it, so let them have it! 4) High quality diet and quantity management. City kitties are prone to gaining weight since they aren’t out prowling all day. It’s important to put them on a set quantity of food daily based upon their activity levels. Cats that are allowed to graze throughout the day end up overweight over time. Cats have an easier time managing their weight when fed canned food. 3) Appropriate toys and exercise. Cats are hunters by nature. Hunting their toys is stimulating for them both mentally and physically. Using the fishing pole toys, cat nip toys, or toys with feathers or fur are often kitty favorites, but there are so many – find some your cat enjoys! And don’t forget to interact with your cat! Movement is 50% of the fun! 2) Window hammocks and perches. Cats love to watch the world go by! Why not give them a fun and comfortable place in a window to catch a ray of sun or spy on the lowly citizens below. Windows can be prime entertainment! 1) Cat trees. Cat trees allow cats to climb, scratch, and get to a high perch in their environment. Cats love to be up high. By giving them their own territory they feel they have a safe spot to sleep, and lots of cat trees now have many levels allowing them to exercise and scratch in a place we all approve. Incorporate these simple tips into your cat’s home to create a happy home environment for you and your cat! Of course, don’t be surprised when your cat is initially more interested in the box your new gifts came in than the gifts themselves. Please contact The Vet Set for any questions you may have for your city kitty!
1. The promoter of this competition is The Vet Set Inc. of 175 Varick St. New York , New York 10014. The prizes are being provided by The Vet Set.
2. The competition runs from Thursday January 14th to midnight on Sunday February 21st.
3. The competition is open to US residents and all entrants must be able to provide an email address and be over 18 years of age.
4. By entering the competition you are bound by these terms and conditions.
5. To enter the competition on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, entrants must like the page, and enter via the official contest entry form or by using the hashtag #WinterBestiesNYC
6. No purchase is necessary to enter the competition.
7. The competition can be entered via Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
8. One entry per email address. Multiple entries are not permitted.
9. Anyone found to use multiple email accounts to enter will be ineligible.
10. By entering, you give permission for the promoter to use, repost and share the content on social platforms and The Vet Set website. All entries become property of The Vet Set and can be used for future marketing, promotion, or in-house materials as The Vet Set decides.
11. Photo Criteria:
Photo must be original, unpublished, and not copyrighted.
Photo must show at least one dog or cat.
Photo should depict the pet(s) in a manner consistent with The Vet Set brand and lifestyle.
12. Winners will be chosen by public vote. Voting will end at midnight on Monday February 29th. The top 3 dogs and 3 cats with the most votes will win prizes as outlined below. Anyone who has previously won a Vet Set competition will not be eligible to win this time as we aim to be fair to all entrants. If a previous winner is voted by the public, then the person with the next highest amount of votes will win. Employees and immediate family members of The Vet Set are ineligible to win.
13. The prizes:
14. The winners will be announced on Wednesday March 2nd via Facebook, Instagram and email, and the winner will need to provide their name, email, phone number and postal address for the prize to be sent to.
15. If within 14 days the winner(s) has not been in contact The Vet Set reserves the right to select another winner (whoever has the next highest amount of votes).
16. The selection of the winners is at the promoter’s discretion and no correspondence will be entered into.
17. The promoter reserves the right to amend or terminate the competition.
18. The winners will be asked to participate in publicity associated with this promotion.
19. The entrants personal data will be kept by the promoter and used for the purpose of sending the prize to the winner and also for future marketing purposes by The Vet Set (e.g. email campaigns).
20. By entering this competition you are opting in to receive promotional information from The Vet Set (e.g. to receive email campaigns).
21. Prizes are not transferable and no cash alternative will be offered.
22. Winner of home veterinary services must live in areas serviced by The Vet Set and occur during normal hours of operation.
23. Any home visits not completed by 3/1/17 will be null and void with no cash value.