Toxins All Cat Owners Need to Know About Part 2

As a cat owner, it’s important to know about the many things that are toxic to your cat.

Every cat owner wants their feline friend to live a happy, healthy, long life full of joy and love, but unfortunately, there are many things in the average home that are toxic to cats. And, if your cat accidentally gets into something they shouldn’t, it can put their health and maybe even their life at risk. Protecting your cat from these toxins means removing them from your home — or at the very least, putting them somewhere your cat can’t get to them — but you can’t do that if you don’t know what they are. That’s why, in our latest blog, our veterinarian in Carroll Gardens went over a few of the most common toxins for cats. Here are a couple more:

#4. Household Chemicals

We use so many chemicals in our day-to-day lives for everything from cleaning up stains to keeping pests out of our homes. And, while most people (or rather adults) know not to ingest any of these chemicals, cats know no such thing. What’s even worse is that some of these chemicals — antifreeze for example — taste and smell good to cats. It’s essential to keep the following household chemicals well away from your cat:

  • Antifreeze
  • Herbicides
  • Flea and tick shampoos and sprays for dogs
  • De-icing salt
  • Bleach
  • Detergents
  • Insecticides
  • Toilet bowl cleaners

When you do need to clean something with bleach or use a detergent, just make sure to keep your cat away, and don’t allow them to go near it until it is been completely dried or removed.

#5. Glow sticks and luminous jewelry.

Believe it or not, glow sticks and luminous jewelry are some of the more common reasons why people call poison control for their cats. Glow sticks and luminous jewelry both contain a toxic liquid, called dibutyl phthalate. Although it won’t cause overly significant problems, it can cause stomach pain, vomiting and/or foaming at the mouth if it’s ingested. If you attend an event that has glow sticks or luminous jewelry, don’t take them home with you!

What should you do if you think your cat has been poisoned?

Now that you know what some of the most common toxins for cats are, what should you do if you think your cat ingested one? The first and best piece of advice we can give is to act quickly. Every minute is important if your cat has ingested something toxic. Then, follow these steps:

  • Contact your veterinarian and/or poison control – Keeping your veterinarian’s number handy is important, and you’ll be glad you did if your cat ingests something they shouldn’t. If your normal veterinary clinic isn’t open, call an emergency animal hospital or poison control. They should be able to inform you about further steps you should take.
  • Collect any applicable samples – When you take your cat to visit the veterinarian, bringing along some samples could be helpful. These samples could include the substance your cat ingested, as well as stool and vomit samples.
  • What out for symptoms – Keep a close eye on your cat for symptoms, which could include breathing difficulties, coughing, weakness, confusion, vomiting, diarrhea, dilated pupils, upset stomach, excess saliva, depression, shivering, tremors, seizures and skin irritation. In most cases, symptoms will appear right away, but sometimes, they show up little by little.

Don’t take a chance when it comes to your cat’s health and safety. Learn the ins and outs of what is poisonous for your cat, so that you can keep it safely out of reach. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please contact us!

Pet Parent Information

Last Name

Zip Code

Pet Information

Species
Gender

Additional pets?

To make an appointment, please call us at (917) 741-4737 or
email us at info@vetset.net.

Powered by Top Rated Local®